StoneFly, a subsidiary of Dynamic Network Factory offers a range of simple and affordable iSCSI Storage appliances for departments, mid-tier workgroups and enterprise organizations. And all its storage appliances are enriched with intelligent features such as snapshot, mirroring, encryption, deduplication and thin provisioning for advanced disaster recovery purposes.
For now, let’s go through the feature of Deduplication offered in StoneFly storage appliances and the way it works to benefit the customers.
Deduplication feature offered in StoneFly storage appliances helps in increasing the storage efficiency of the appliances. It helps in increasing the storage capability of the appliance from 5X to 137X more within the same storage footprint and that too by making a minimum impact on overall performance.
Consequently, with the help of StoneFly offered data deduplication features, the users of these storage appliances can observe substantial and recurring impact on the cost and manageability of data growth. Therefore by reduced storage capacity, organizations can enjoy related cost reductions in areas including storage licensing, storage management, power, cooling and data center floor space. On an overall basis, data deduplication makes it much more affordable to store, analyze, manage and house the enterprise data.
How StoneFly deduplication works?
StoneFly’s deduplication index utilizes advanced techniques for identifying the duplicates across the massive storage pools using memory-resident information over 99% of the time, avoiding costly disk access and thus eliminating the need for the largest single bottleneck in storage deduplication. The process takes place as follows-
- StoneFly’s StoneFusion network operating system pushes new data and internal placement information which has to be deduplicated.
- Block-aware segmentation breaks larger objects into variable-sized chunks.
- Unique content fingerprints are computed.
- Patented indexing technologies determine if the chuck has been previously seen.
- If the information is identified to be repeated, the information is pushed asynchronously back to the StoneFusion operating system for elimination.
- The information which is identified to be non-repeated is pushed by the operating system for unification.
- The best part is that with the use of parallel deduplication technique, high-write latency issues commonly seen with in-line deduplication systems get greatly reduced. Therefore, with this feature heavy workloads can be handled and can rapidly identify duplicate data cross terabytes of data.
To know more click on StoneFly Data Deduplication feature web page.