How long will hard drives last in reality?

Well, this is a big question to answer and has no specific answer in reality. Traditional hard drives used in desktop computers will often fail sooner than they are claimed to work by the manufacturer. In general, the average life of a hard drive depends on a lot of thinks, like the brand, type, size and interface methods and is often observed to work for 4 years from the start date.

Online backup service provider Blackblaze studied the drives in their infrastructure and found that about 80% of them survived for four years. This means, the rest 20% did not live up to the numbers claimed by the manufacturer and failed sooner, mostly before the third year end.

Similarly, brand value also comes into play, when the life of a hard drive is being estimated. Seagate, for example, failed much more frequently than Western Digital or Hitachi drives in the test carried out by Blackblaze.

Ofcourse, your experiences may differ, and you may wind up with a great drive that lasts forever, or another one that fails a few days out of the box.

That’s why it is important to keep systems backed-up. And if it is for enterprise data, then using a backup appliance tucked with disaster recovery capability do makes true sense.

StoneFly M-series of DR Backup appliance is an affordable purpose-built backup system in one easy to manage appliance. The StoneFly M-Series provides you with a total backup solution for all of your physical and virtual servers and workstations in a single box. Manage all of your backup operations for your datacenter or office with a single central management console. Dynamic Network Factory business unit StoneFly offers its M-Series backup with up to 32 Tera-Bytes of integrated backup and storage capacity for your business.

The backup engine automatically creates backup images of physical servers based on flexible user-defined policy. These images can be restored (bare metal recovery) to the same hardware, to dissimilar hardware to build a new server, or can be mounted as a drive to retrieve an earlier copy of a specific file, folder, etc.

Features such as Disk-Level snapshots, compression and de-duplication optimize utilization of the network and the storage. The volume of backup data can be reduced by up to 90% and maximized backup speed.

For more details click on StoneFly M-series backup appliance or call 510-265-1616.

This entry was posted in StoneFly, Storage and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.